Polished concrete is one of the most affordable flooring solutions. Moreover, due to its versatility, this type of floor can be successfully used in any industrial, commercial or public space. From manufacturing plants, to stores, schools and restaurants, numerous public spaces have opted for this type of floor. Its affordability, is not its only advantage, as concrete has numerous other benefits. However, it also has some drawbacks, and before you commit to this type of floor, you should weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself whether or not this is the best solution for the space that you have in mind.
- Durable – Concrete is a very strong material and the polishing procedure provides it with increased durability. It can withstand heavy foot traffic as well as heavy wear caused by massive equipment pieces. It doesn’t scratch or chip, and it takes a lot do damage it in any way. However, in order for it to last a long time, it needs to be installed by professionals. There are many companies on the market that specialize in installing polished concrete, but for the best results you should choose Treadwell, the most reputable Kansas City polished concrete contractors. This company has a lifelong experience with industrial floors, and their floors can be expected to last dozens, if not hundreds of years. Whether you are looking for a flooring solution for a school, or a manufacturing plant that employs heavy chemicals, you can count on Treadwell to provide you with a durable flooring solution.
- Easy to maintain – Polished concrete is not a sophisticated type of floor. Generally, all you need to do is clean it from time to time to remove the accumulated dirt. A weekly mopping is more than enough to keep this type of floor in good shape. If you choose to cover the floor with a more sophisticated coating, it might require more maintenance, depending on the chosen coating.
- Very cheap – A basic polished concrete floor can cost you a few dollars per square foot. If you choose to add optional coatings, it can cost you over $30 per square foot, which is still very reasonable compared to other industrial and commercial flooring solutions. You can save a lot of time and money if you already have a concrete slab to work with.
- Versatile – Just because we are talking about a concrete floor, you shouldn’t think that it will look cheap. Modern installation techniques can provide concrete floors with endless design choice. It can simulate more expensive materials and you can play with different patters for different areas.
- Safe – These type of floors are among the safest options for public spaces. They are anti-slip, they can be sanitized according to the needs of every space, and they don’t contain any volatile organic compounds.
- Not the most comfortable surfaces – Concrete floors are hard and cold, which can make them uncomfortable to sit on for a long time. However, these floors are not designed for residential spaces, so this shouldn’t be such a big problem.
- Installation risks – As we already mentioned, concrete floors are only durable if they are installed properly. If the concrete slab is not properly sealed, it can be damaged by moisture.